A deliciously simple rustic pie, made from Chukar Pie Fillings.
1 1/2 stick very cold unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons ice water
1 large tart baking apple, approx. 1 cup: peel, core, cut 8 slices, cut each slice into 3-4 chunks
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated orange zest
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cup Chukar® Pie Filling
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Cut very cold butter into 1/2 inch pieces and return to the refrigerator.
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in food processor and pulse a few times until just mixed.
- Add butter pieces and pulse processor until dough is the size of large peas.
- With machine running, slowly add ice water and stop when dough begins to form a ball. Form dough into a flat, thick disk.
- Wrap dough in wax paper or plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- To make the strudel, add the sugar, cinnamon, kosher salt, flour, and unsalted butter in food processor and pulse a few times. Set aside.
- To make crust: flour the board, roll dough ball from the center towards the edge with even pressure until pastry is a 12" circle. Handle dough gently, turning and flouring to ensure it doesn't stick or tear.
- Carefully place the dough on a baking sheet pan lined with parchment.
- Toss apple chunks with the orange zest and pour chunks onto the center of the pastry circle, leaving a 2" border.
- Combine the strudel ingredients into a processor and pulse until crumbly. Sprinkle strudel on top of apples.
- Pour Chukar® Pie and Cobbler Filling on top of the apple chunks.
- Fold sides of dough 1/3 of the way in toward center all the way around, leaving 2/3 of the fruit exposed.
- Press down on the outside edge of the pastry circle to seal.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until pastry is nicely browned.
- Cool. Cut and serve with vanilla ice cream.