Bake this picture perfect tart for your next party!
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2/3 cup confectioner's sugar
1 large egg, plus 1 egg white
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup almond meal
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 jar Chukar® Sour Cherry Pie Filling
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and confectioner's sugar together.
- Beat in 1 egg, vanilla extract, almond meal, and salt.
- Sift cake flour into a medium bowl.
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually blend the cake flour into the rest of the ingredients until everything is well-combined.
- Gather dough into a ball with a large spatula or bowl scraper.
- Place in a gallon-sized ziplock bag (or between two sheets of parchment paper) and press firmly into a thin, flat disc.
- Chill in the freezer for 30 minutes or refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Once dough has chilled, take it out of the bag and place on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll out dough to one-eighth-inch thick, then cut to fit the size of your tart pan (will make enough for a 10-inch tart or multiple smaller tarts).
- Press dough firmly into the pan, stretching it as little as possible, making sure to get it into the corners of the pan. This dough can be patched with scraps if it tears.
- Cut off excess dough and roll out again. Use a cookie cutter to cut shapes from this dough to top the tart.
- Chill tart pan for 30 minutes in the refrigerator before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place tart pan(s) on a baking sheet.
- For a 10-inch tart: Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until golden.
- For 3 to 5-inch tarts: Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove tart from the oven and top with Chukar® Sour Cherry Pie Filling.
- Top pie filling with dough shapes brushed with egg white and return to oven just until shapes on top become golden.
- Makes one 10-inch tart or four 5-inch tarts.